2 tbsp olive oil plus extra for brushing and drizzling
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
400g chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato uree
6 tomatoes, sliced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
for the tahini dressing:
couple of pinches of za’atar
flat-leaf parsley; chopped
- Take one egplant and chop into bite-size cubes, lay on a plate and cover with salt. Set aside for 15 minutes to draw out all the bitter juices. Slice the other eggplant into rounds then salt and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large pan and saute the onion for around 10-15 minutes until it’s starting to soften and caramelise.
- Rinse the cubed eggplant and add to the pan with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Cook, stirring from time to time, for about 10 minutes until the cubes have softened and turned golden.
- Stir in the garlic and cook in the heat of the pan for a couple of minutes until you can smell the aroma,. Pour in the tomatoes, and tomato puree and bring everything to a simmer. Cover and cook over the lowest heat for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the salt from the remaining eggplant. Preheat the grill and oil a baking sheet. Brush the eggplant slices liberally with oil and grill until golden, turnin halfway through. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Place a layer of the eggplant sauce in the bottom of an ovenproof dish, then cover this with the sliced tomatoes, chickpeas and finally the grilled eggplant. Drizzle with a little extra olive oil.
- Bake for 20 mintes, until bubbling and golden on top.
- To make the dressing, stir together the yoghurt, tahini and za’atar to taste.
- Scatter the chopped parsley over the moussaka and serve with the tahini dressing.